Friday, August 7, 2015

Washing Doll Hair!

Hello everyone!  As I was looking around the interwebs recently I stumbled upon watching videos where they wash doll hair.  I have never attempted this because American Girl is quite adamant about not doing it.  I caved though because I've owned my doll for a while now and her hair has gotten quite dirty.

I didn't take pictures of myself doing it because I was worried I would mess up and get water everywhere.  But I used the technique used in this video.


I used four pigtails, as she mentioned in the video for a Kit doll, and I put a small pigtail with her bangs.  My doll looked quite funny.

I just used the regular shampoo and conditioner I use and it worked fine.  I do have a few tips, some are mentioned in the video, but I thought I would make a list too!

  • Parent's permission!  If you aren't adult, you should either get a parent's permission or have an adult help you.
  • Towels!  Grab a towel or maybe two.  I used one to cover her face since it's quite important you avoid her eyes at all costs.  Make sure you are only getting her hair wet.  And don't do this too often because it can potentially loosen the glue holding the doll's wig on.
  • Warm water!  I found that using the warm water really helped.
  • Remove clothing!  I forgot this step, and her shirt got wet.  It wasn't a big deal, but I thought I would let you all know.
  • A little dab will do ya!  Yeah, that old glue saying is coming back atcha.  Try not to use a lot of shampoo or conditioner.  I used about a quarter sized amount for her four ponytails and then I did add a bit extra conditioner on her ends because they were quite dry.
  • Rinse it all out!  When washing the doll's hair make sure you rinse it all out.  It's sort of easy to tell if you left any in, just rub your hands through the strands of hair.  Re-rinsing the doll's hair is always an option if you didn't get it all.
  • Quicker drying time!  If you want her hair to dry quicker, put your doll in front of fan.  I laid her down just as she did in the video on my bed.  I would also suggest don't set her directly in front of a fan, but a bit further away.  My doll's hair dried in probably a fourth of the time.

So that's it!  Those are the tips I found while I did it myself.  Some of them may have been repeated from the video, but I just wanted to make a list for myself.

Here are some pictures of my doll's hair after her washing and conditioning.





I have started to look up some tips about splitting ends.  If you have any tips leave a comment and let me know.

Have a wonderday!

No comments:

Post a Comment