Thursday, December 4, 2014

Hogwarts School Uniform: Update #3

Howdy.  I actually didn't get a chance to make this post yesterday, so I am going to share today.  Last night I made the skirt for my doll.  It was sort of a complicated process for me.  I had never made a pleated skirt before and now I have.  And it was hard.

I used the pleated skirt from McCalls Pattern #3900, which I believe I bought about three or four years ago.

I have a tip for all of you about patterns.  If you are looking for patterns at JoAnns or other stores, wait for the sales.  They always go on sale.  I can say that I have never paid full price for a pattern.  The most I have paid for a pattern is about $3.


I started by laying the fabric flat and pattern on top of it.  I ironed the fabric and pattern since it was sort of wrinkled as well.  I sewed the end as instructed and folded half of the pleats sewing it and then continuing with the rest of the pleats.


Here is the skirt with the pleats folded and sewn at the top.


I was a bit confused on adding the waistband and elastic, so I sort of made up my own way.  I added the waist band on and left a small opening to slip the elastic inside.  I had to redo the waist band once because I put it on backwards, and then I had to redo the elastic because it kept getting lost in the waistband.  But I finally got it neat and tidy.


After all of that, I had to pull the skirt straight at the bottom and hem the edge.  I used the iron to re-add some of the pleats, but I think I will need to buy some starch to make sure they really don't flatten out.


Here is the skirt on my doll.  I'd say it's a pretty well done job.  I do wish it was a bit shorter, but I can always hem the edge again if I want.


Overall I would say it was a good learning experience for me.  I am hoping to make the shirt next.  I could not find a button up pattern to save my self, so I am going to mix and match some patterns.  I hope it will turn out alright, I believe it will I just need to start working on it.

Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment