Monday, December 29, 2014

Sailor Scout Fuku: The Beginnings! Part 1

Hi-de-ho everyone!  Today I went to JoAnns because they are still running their liquidation sale and bought the bulk of the fabric I need for the Sailor Scout uniforms or fuku.

I have decided to re-create the Sailor Moon and Sailor Chibi Moon from the newest series, Sailor Moon Crystal in the Dark Moon Arc.  When I saw the new trailer I was so excited and thought Sailor Chibi Moon is my favorite so I have to make her outfit, but I really wanted Sailor Moon's as well.  I know it's quite the task to create two of them, but I figured it will be good practice.  I added a picture, it isn't the greatest quality because this was literally released the other day, but I am so excited!


While I was at JoAnns today I ventured through every single other aisle looking for moons.  Any kind of moon: wood, beads, appliques, buttons...  And let me tell you, they had stars galore, but not a single moon.  So I thought I would start venturing online for something later.

I didn't take pictures of the fabric or my other find, but I will try to add those in tomorrow.  My other find was tiny rhinestones that came in a multi-colored pack which is perfect for the locket Sailor Moon has resting on her front bow.

The only real pattern I am going to be using for this project is an ice skating dress pattern from Butterick #3329.  Many cosplayers when they re-create Sailor Scout uniforms if they use patterns, they usually use ice skating dresses like the one I found.  So if you have a very similar ice skating dress pattern, then go ahead and use that.  I personally bought the pattern years ago, but I was ecstatic when I found it.  The only major change I am making to the pattern is the sleeves.  The Sailor Scouts have puffy shoulder/sleeve pads, not sure what to call them, so I need figure out how that is going to work.

I still need stuffing for the padding on most of the pieces, and I am hoping to find moons, or I could make some from foam.  Along with gold paint, which I will use for the tiara.  I hope to make tutorials on most of the things I am making because I've watched videos and read articles about people who made the outfits for cosplay and I will need to size everything down.  It is going to be quite the task and I probably won't finish in 10 days like my Hogwarts Uniform because of everything I still need and my carpal tunnel is acting up a lot lately.  But it won't stop me, I am determined!  My mom just said today how sad it is I have carpal tunnel at my age and that I like to craft things, but oh wells it won't stop me.

So I hope to start constructing the Sailor Fuku, which is what the body suit part is called tomorrow.  Since I am following a pattern, I won't give to much details, but as I continue I hope to keep making different posts.  I do hope to make their weapons as well, but I want to get the outfits down first.  Maybe if I get another doll one day they can both wear the outfits.  I suppose that's all for now!

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment