Monday, December 8, 2014

Hogwarts School Uniform: Update #4

Wow-wee!  I have been making lots of progress.  I haven't had time to post lately because I sat down and watched How To Train Your Dragon 2, Legends of Oz: Dorothy Returns, along with some of my other shows at night time when I usually post.  I finished the shirt the other night and finished up the cardigan today.  Yes I decided to make a cardigan instead of a sweater, but I will talk about that a bit later in the post.

Alright, so firstly I made the shirt yesterday.  I used the collared shirt pattern from McCalls 4066 without using the sleeves and instead used the long sleeve from McCalls 3900 from the one of the outfits.  I figured it would work since they were the same company.

Here is the collared shirt pattern up until you start adding the sleeves (and this is also before I sewed the back neck facing to the front, but I didn't take a picture of it all without the sleeves).


Here I am adding the sleeves on.  If you can see it, I added cuffs to my sleeves to make them look more shirt like.  I suppose it's the little details I add.


Pretty much all done, I hemmed the bottom too!  I just needed to add the buttons.



The collar definitely looks a little funny without the tie on.  I need to iron it flat again after playing with it so much today.  But I think it went well for not having a real pattern.  

On to the cardigan, this one took me a couple of days to complete.  I used a cardigan pattern from McCalls 3900.  I cut out the pattern and sewed the shoulders as always  I sort of went my own way with this because it's sort of the same as other things I have done.


 

Alright, now after added the sleeves and sewed the sides, I put it on my doll and it was too short.  I luckily bought way too much fleece, so I cut out a new one.  I added a whole inch and half to the bottom to make sure it would be long enough.


Now the cardigan pattern I had didn't have the right type of neck line I wanted, so I hemmed it back a little.  It was really easy and I was surprised how nice it looks.  I even added a zig-zag pattern with the thread to give it an edge.


I didn't take too many pictures of the second cardigan because I just wanted to get it done as quick as I could.  So I put it on my doll and it was perfect this time, except for the darn sleeves.


Today I worked on the cardigan and finished it up!  I hemmed up the sleeves a bit instead of just cutting them even.  I didn't hem the bottom since it's fleece and I don't think it will fray.  I was thinking of adding some decorative work later though.


The buttons have snaps underneath them because making button holes is hard (I did it on a pair of pajamas and it was difficult).

Also last night I added the Gryffindor crest to the robe.  I forgot to take a picture of it, but I will definitely do it soon to show you all!

After I finished the cardigan I started working on the tie.  And at first I was going to glue the stripes on, but I didn't like how it looked or felt.  In the end I decided to sew the stripes on, which are of course ribbons.


I honestly like how it looks, but it will take time.  I even added a small strap on the back to keep the back of the tie from moving.  I plan on taking pictures of everything I've done later, so don't worry!

Goodness, quite the post I've made.  Have a wonderful day!

P.S. Plus when I went on a small walk with my dog today we found the perfect stick to work as a wand.  I wanted a stick because it looks the most realistic (you know as close to the Harry Potter universe as possible).  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment